Outside the Grand Central Station Terminal in Manhattan NY, the clock in front of the facade facing 42nd Street contains the world’s largest example of a Tiffany Glass clock and is surrounded by sculptures carved by the John Donnelly Company of Minerva, Hercules and Mercury, and designed by French sculptor Jules-Felix Coutan. At the time of its unveiling this trio was considered to be the largest sculptural group in the world. It is 48 feet high, with the priceless Tiffany Clock in the center having a circumference of 13 feet.
Rohlf’s Studio removed and restored the Tiffany Glass Clock as part of a 12-year complete renovation and restoration of Grand Central Terminal which began in 1992. Accessible only by a narrow staircase leading to a small ‘clock room,’ each piece was removed from the inside. The glass was brought to Rohlf’s Studio in Mt. Vernon where the process of restoring and replicating the priceless clock took place. Since the pieces had suffered heavy damage since their installation in 1914, Rohlf Studio repaired damaged pieces and replicated missing pieces as part of a complete restoration. After completion, each piece of the largest stained glass design ever created by Tiffany Studios was carefully reinstalled where it continues to overlook 42nd Street to this day.