Outside the Grand Central Station Terminal in Manhattan NY, the clock in front of the facade facing 42nd Street contains the world’s largest example of Tiffany Glass and is surrounded by sculptures carved by the John Donnelly Company of Minerva, Hercules, and Mercury and designed by French sculptor Jules-Felix Coutan. At the time of its unveiling this trio was considered to be the largest sculptural group in the world. It was 48 feet high, with the priceless Tiffany Clock in the center having a circumference of 13 feet.
Rohlf’s Studio removed & restored the Tiffany Glass Clock as part of a 12-year complete renovation & restoration of Grand Central Terminal which began in 1998. Accessible only by a narrow staircase leading to a small ‘clock room’, each piece was removed from the inside. Each piece was brought to Rohlf’s Studio in Mt. Vernon where the process of restoring & replicating the priceless clock took place. Since the pieces had suffered heavy damage since their installation in 1914, Rohlf Studio repaired damaged pieces & replicated missing pieces as part of a complete restoration. After completion, each piece of the largest stained glass piece ever created by the Tiffany Studio was carefully reinstalled where it continues to overlook 42nd Street to this day.